Congratulations! Pregnancy is an exciting beginning! However, it can also be overwhelming if you don’t know how to take care of yourself throughout your pregnancy journey. As your baby grows bigger inside you, new physical changes can take a toll on your body. Pelvic physiotherapy can help you through your pregnancy and improve your birth experience!
What could happen to my pelvic floor during pregnancy?
During pregnancy, your pelvic floor is under a lot of pressure from baby’s weight inside of you. Your abdominal is stretched out and can lose strength, causing problems after birth. During birth, there is a lot of strain happening at the pelvic floor level as baby comes through. It’s important to have your pelvic floor checked to make sure both your abdominal and pelvic floor have enough strength to support your body’s needs.
Signs and symptoms of a dysfunctional pelvic floor are:
- Urinary leakage with coughing, sneezing or laughing
- Urinary leakage with a strong urge to go
- Painful sex
- Feelings of pressure ‘down there’
How can pelvic physiotherapy help me with a pain-free pregnancy?
There are many aches and pains that could happen during the pregnancy, such as:
- Low back pain
- Groin pain
- Hip discomfort
- Ribs pain
- Abdominal separation (diastasis recti)
These conditions are linked with weak pelvic floor and abdominal muscles. Our pelvic physiotherapist, Trang Bui, is experienced in working with pregnant women. She can help you identify which areas needs to get stronger to prevent these issues from happening.
How will seeing a pelvic physiotherapist help me prepare for birth?
Being familiar with your pelvic floor and maintaining a balance between strength and flexibility down there is helpful during your pushing stage. As a part of birth preparation, Trang Bui will guide you through the techniques for perineal massage, which often helps reduce the risk of serious perineal tears. She is also trained in labour support and will go over different birth positions with you. Keeping active and mobile during different stages of labor is very important to move things along.
I want to exercise during my pregnancy but I am so confused with all the information I found online!
In the age of Dr. Google, we hear you! It is tough to figure out what is helpful online and what can harm our bodies and babies during pregnancy. We know how hard it is, and that is why we wrote a post for you about exercising during pregnancy. Read more!
At what point do I need to get my pelvic floor checked?
We recommend having your pelvic floor checked during your second trimester even if you don’t experience any pelvic floor issues. Just like an annual physical exam, this initial assessment will give you a global view of your pelvic health, core strength, and what can be done to keep you strong throughout your pregnancy.
What can I expect with InvigoPhysio?
We believe that every woman recovers differently. In order to meet your needs and health goals, we create a unique treatment plan that works with your lifestyle.
When you book your appointment with InvigoPhysio you can expect:
- Thorough conversation about your history to understand your current concerns
- Education regarding your condition: teaching management strategies and how the core and pelvic floor muscles work together
- Detailed assessment of body alignment and functional movement
- A pelvic exam (external and possibly internal as required)
- Assessment of abdominal muscles and core function
- Hands-on treatment (manual therapy, acupuncture, visceral mobilization, K-taping) as needed to help restore optimal bio-mechanics
- Education and guidance to return to your favourite physical activities, or preparing for any future pregnancies
- A Pilates and Yoga-based exercise program to help you restore mobility, strength, and function
Still have questions about your initial pelvic assessment? We already put together a post for you on what to expect during your first pelvic assessment. Read more!
At InvigoPhysio, we can get you safely back to the activities you love such as running, cross-fit, yoga, Pilates, or even Zumba! We want to help you feel more like yourself, no matter where you are on your motherhood journey.
Book your appointment today!